March 6, 2009

Book of the Week

I recently finished reading "The Man Who Was Thursday" by G.K. Chesterton. Chesterton is an author that I have quoted numerous times, but I have never actually read one of his novels. Feeling guilty I finally picked one up.

The other night I tried to explain the book to my wife, but I couldn't make any sense. That's the thing about this book, and I think any really good novel or joke. You can't explain them, they must be experienced.

Whether "The Man Who Was Thursday" is a really good novel I have yet to determine. I still am not sure exactly what happened in the story. I mean, the plot made sense, but there was more going on than meets the eye. Days later the book is still rolling around somewhere inside me, and will be for some time. That is usually the sign for me of profound writing.

What I can say is that the book is a farce, a joke, that pulls you along. And the ending is really worth it, even though I am still sorting out what it means. I cruised through the book in just a few days, quite unusual for a book considered a "classic." Part of it is the short length, but also the way it is written makes you suspect that something really important is coming, and you want to get there.

I don't want to give it away (again it must be experienced), but I would highly reccomend the book to anyone who is interested in good literature that takes spirituality seriously. And for those who have never read much of this type of literature, this novel is short and to the point, so it is a good place to start. I would love to discuss the book with anyone who has read or is willing to read it.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for not giving the ending away because I put this one on hold at the APL! (Will get back to you if I like it; if I hate it, you won't hear a peep..)

    ReplyDelete