October 13, 2009

You Too

I experienced many firsts last night. It was the first time for me to be in a crowd with some 80,000 other people. It was my first time at the new Cowboys stadium (pretty cool, but difficult to maneuver in because of all the VIP sections). And it was my first time seeing U2.

Now I suppose there are things to quarrel with. I am sure in a smaller arena or outdoor setting the sound would have been better. There were a couple of new songs I could have done without and a couple of old ones I wish they would have played (they could simply play the Joshua Tree straight through and I would be happy). And the tickets could have been cheaper (but I am such a cheapskate they would have to be giving them away to suit me, and then I would gripe about the cost of gas to get there).

All that may be true. But it means nothing. In the middle of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" I turned to my wife and told her it was all worth it just for this moment. I jumped up and down to "Elevation", "Vertigo" and "Beautiful Day", was moved by "Stuck in a Moment" and "One", belted out the words to "Mysterious Ways" and rejoiced with "Where The Streets Have No Name". It was a real-life spiritual experience.

U2 did a superb job of mixing their world-concerns with their music. They kept their politics positive, choosing to talk about lives saved and how people could get involved rather than dragging individuals or political parties through the mud.

And there was religion. Whether it was Bono belting "Amazing Grace" or Archbishop Desmond Tutu introducing "One" the undercurrent of God and humanity ran through the show. I mean, has any band written a better or more honest spiritual song than "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"?

Someone might say that it was a spiritual experience, but it was U2 who was worshipped. For some I suppose that is exactly what it was. But I didn't worship Bono, Larry Mullen Jr., Adam Clayton and The Edge. No I worshipped the one who put the songs in their hearts.

Included below is a video from the concert (just to get a taste). For those of you who don't really know U2 this will be a poor introduction. Instead, ask me for a CD and I will burn you one with my favorite U2 songs and you can see for yourself. Really. Ask.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I am jealous. I think I will listen to my U2 songs now. YOur post reminds me of a sermon that Len Driskell did based on "I Still Havent Found What I'm Looking For" and then we HOPE people sang the song together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last concert I went to was Mercy Me (I can only imagine). To answer your question, in my opinion Mercy Me has written better spiritual songs, and everyone leaves the arena knowing exactly who they're worshiping. Unless you mean spiritual as in looking inside yourself & not necessarily looking to God, then you might be right.
    Creg

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 5:19 into the video, the tears came...because I read Janet's comment about Len and because I just visited Kara's blog...and because I love U2.

    And at 6:08...oh, God...DID HE JUST THANK PRESIDENT BUSH FOR SAVING LIVES ON THE CONTINENT OF AFRICA? THANK YOU, BONO, THANK YOU!

    And at 7:31...I gotta watch it again.

    Oh, and btw, I'm asking for your U2 CD. Really. I'm asking.

    ReplyDelete