July 9, 2009

Good Idea!

I play basketball two or three times a week. Almost every time I play I hear the phrase "good idea!". In basketball parlance "good idea" means that the play didn't quite work out, but the thought behind it was good. It might be that someone tries to pass the ball into a tight spot. If the ball gets through it will be an easy basket. However, the ball is intercepted or the recipient couldn't quite catch it. The person who was supposed to receive the pass will then say to the passer "good idea."

Since I play with a lot of really nice guys, I think this is a way of being kind. Rather than saying, "wow, what a sorry pass" the person is given credit for the idea which was good. It's a similar vein to "It's the thought that counts." Since I tend to be somewhat sarcastic, I don't ever say "good idea". I'm afraid that it will come out as a snide remark about the person's inability to execute a simple task.

So there is the concept of "good idea". Nice thought, just poor execution. Sadly this is rarely used in other arenas. There are many great ideas out there, but sometimes the execution leaves a little to be desired. So here are a few things to which I wish to say "good idea."

Diet Soft Drinks

Reading for Dummies

Baked Potato Chips

Manimal

8-Tracks

Peanut Butter and Jelly in one jar

Water Wings

V-8

Raffles

Self-Tanning Cream

Assemble at home furniture

Every Nerf Gun ever made

Spray On Sunscreen

Comb-Overs

Self-flushing toilets

User Names and Passwords

No comments:

Post a Comment